murkey
n00b

Bikes: 2010 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stupid crash

fuu... wish i had read more of these crash threads so here's mine... be careful around those AC Transit buses!!!

this was two weeks ago. i was coming down a hill on my way home, spinning fast in the bike lane. i was in the middle of an intersection when the bus next to me started pulling into the bike lane toward a bus stop... in hindsight, i probably had enough room to slow down safely, but i panicked and hit the front brake way too hard.

needless to say, i went flying. separated my left shoulder and have road rash on my right knee, both elbows, left hip, and the shoulder. minor scrapes on my chin and hands. i was wearing a helmet - good thing, it's pretty scraped up. Bern is replacing it. bent my back wheel, tore the covering on the saddle, and ripped up my bar tape. other than that the bike looks like it's in good shape, but taking it to a local shop to have them check out the headset this weekend.

i actually got up and walked home. didn't realize how badly my shoulder was messed up until i tried to wash my hair in the shower... went to the ER after that and got a sling and some prescription painkillers (mmmm vicodin).

i take full responsibility for the crash. i had been riding for a couple hours and was buzzing off the endorphins, not paying enough attention, going too fast for my skill level, and haven't practiced enough stopping from higher speeds. so i guess the moral of the story is... start off slow, and don't let the thrill of riding go to your head. i'm just glad i was able to get up from this one.

feel free to offer advice and/or flame as you see fit!