View Single Post
Old 06-15-05, 03:12 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drivers
The ability to put your foot down and up as much as you want is too useful to me. I don't consider a system where you fall all the time to be safer.
It's a simple learning curve - I can put my foot down and up as much as I like, too, plus I can make use of the full pedal circle rather than just the downstroke. That's far too useful for me to give up for the riding I do. For your riding, that benefit might not be as appreciable (don't know, just putting it out there).

I can remember the last time I fell because of the clipless pedals. It was the first day I had them.

Originally Posted by drivers
Speaking as someone who rides with bike shoes and platform pedals, I can say they make a huge difference. When I wear street shoes they flex and I get a pain in my right ankle because my foot is twisting outward due to the flex. The pedals I have have lots of sharp teeth on them, and the shoes I have are closer to a MTB shoes and not a slick Sidi or something, and therefore I don't slip.
Fair enough comment about the shoes, which goes to prove that 'your mileage may vary'. I had a pair of skate-shoe style bike shoes a while back. Useless on basic platforms - the rubber compound was way too hard to offer any real grip. May also depend on the type of platform pedals you use - pedals with lots of sharp teeth may be fine, but the basic platforms with clips and straps supplied on new bikes (which I'm guessing is what KingTermite has) aren't quite the same thing.