View Single Post
Old 05-13-11, 08:47 AM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Grand Bois,

First, absolutely no insult meant. A bit of tongue in cheek, at worst. You've been really helpful in direct responses to me in the past, and I remain very appreciative of that.

My comment was really to the "dog pile" effect that happens when suddenly a question becomes a conjecture becomes unequivocal fact. Obviously, not your fault.

As for shifting, I'm running my Rally on my 63 Hetchins with a Stronglight 93 (52/38) and a Shimano HG freewheel (12-28). It shifts as well as anything I've ever used. Keep in mind that I've never used anything newer than 1985.

I do have several other long cage derailleurs I could, maybe even "should" use. BUT, nothing looks as sweet as the Rally.

Whenever Norris L gets around to completing the refinish of my Hilton Wrigley that is still in his hands in Yorkshire, England, my 3rd gen Rally is going on it. Just 'cause it HAS to.

I think the weakness is over-stated, but I would keep an eye for the 2nd iteration of the first Rally, just in case.

RE: PHOTOS. My Leicas are all rangefinders, which are fabulous for certain applications. Macro really isn't one of them. I use a Canon G9, which has taken over 16,000 images in its lovingly abused life, for these sort of shots. Remarkable little box. The photos are nothing special. Get in close, try to have decent lighting, but these are mostly just on the floor in the living room.

Cheers.
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)