View Single Post
Old 05-16-11, 12:56 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
I cant address the wide sizes part, but this might give you more options to explore - don't rule out the road shoes without trying them out first with cleats attached. I started off with spd mountain style shoes and later switched to the road shoes with the larger road cleats to address some toe numbness I was getting from the combination of cheap/weak soles and the small mountain cleat. I was pleasantly surprised to find the shimano road cleats to be just as "walkable" as my spd mountain shoes. The cleats on the road shoes have little rubber grippy things that really work well. Also, you dont have to worry as much about a metal cleat scratching your hardwood floors
I have the same problem with getting numb toes on longer/harder rides. Road shoes and cleats (SPD-SL specifically) do seem to help although I would caution against anyone getting them for their "walkability".

It's true that the cleats are plastic with little rubber nubs so they won't chew up a floor, but road shoes tend to be very stiff and if they don't have any rubber tread on them people ARE going to hear you coming. You'll also walk like a robot in them. Since they're plastic they you'll be replacing them more often. Regular MTB shoes aren't all that walkable either so they're not the best basis for comparison. Touring shoes or maybe sandals (haven't tried them) sound like winners.

I have one pair of Lake shoes in Wide and they're one of few shoes I've felt comfortable in without having to break them in first. They're road shoes though and not very walkable. Not sure which Lake models would most fit that description.

Last edited by tjspiel; 05-16-11 at 01:00 PM.