Bikes: A Raleigh detour 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by llmercll
Continued from this thread, maybe you remember me =p

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...guy?highlight=

I finally got it, and just got back from my first ride! At first I was really worried because the saddle was KILLING me. I quickly realized I was sitting too far up, and once I sat back on it some more, it got much better. Knowing that your body adapts after a few rides, and that bicycle shorts help, I may not even need a new saddle =p

Another thing that was bothering me were my knees at first. I'm 400lb so my knees are pretty bad when bent, and there was definitely some pain, but toward the end they felt stronger. I hope this is something that will improve as my legs get conditioned, and not get worse.

I believe the bike is adjusted well for me. My knees are slightly bent at full extension. The bike is huge! If it were any bigger it would be even too large for me. My "parts" touch when straddling it, but it's not too bad. I'm considering getting it professionally fit at my lbs though, just in case. It's a little hard for me to get on the saddle since it's high up, but I read on Sheldon brown site that it's normal if fit properly. I use the method of pushing off the right peddle to get started, and that works well, but I'm afraid my weight is going to snap the peddle, lol.

Either way, it was tough, but towards the end I already felt much stronger and was able to make up it a big hill! It was raining and my glasses fogged a lot, so it wasn't as enjoyable as I would have liked (and it's supposed to be raining all week here!) but it's guaranteed to clear up eventually =p

A few questions about the bike.

My brakes work great, but squeak. Any ideas as to why they're doing that and what I can do to fix it?

My other question is tire PSI. They say to inflate between 60-80, and since I'm big I go for 80, but I still definitely notice a little "flattening" when I'm riding. I heard road bikes get to 100-120, but my tires say 80. Is this ok? I shouldn't inflate it past 80 right?

thanks for reading that behemoth of a post!
Are you my twin. I swear you sound just like me.