View Single Post
Old 05-17-11, 07:38 AM
edsmemberships

Bikes: Iron Horse XT 2100 (1997?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally took pictures of my commuter. Well, I guess commuter is not completely accurate since it is my only bike, although the vast majority of my miles come from my commute. It is not new - from 97 or so. Since I started commuting seriously last year I have added:
  • Topeak Super Tourist Rack
  • Pedals with SPD on one side and flat on the other
  • Fenders - SKS 45mm (started with PB, but were too small for studded winter tires)
  • Rear chainstay kickstand - I LOVE this
  • Trekking Handlebars - not wrapped in this pic, but have since been wrapped. Will post updated pic when I get around to it.
  • Stem - needed for the trekking bars
  • Mirror - started with bar end mirror, but switched to this one when I installed the Trekking bars
  • Bell - I am considering removing since saying "on your left" seems to be just as effective. Plus, nothing is effective for runners who are listening to music. But haven't gotten rid of yet since there are some occasions when I ring it before a blind corner
  • Mount for my android phone - so I can use gps/hrm
  • Tires - Currently running 700x32 Schwalbe Marathon (in the winter I run Nokian W240)
  • Lights - only the PB blinkie is shown, but I also have a Radbot on my helmet and I usually have a flashlight mounted on the handlebars. Last winter I used a MagicShine mounted on the bars and the flashlight on my helmet.

Since these pictures were taken I have purchased a new front dynamo wheel with a front dynamo light. I'll show pictures of them when I finally get them installed (waiting on rim tape to be delivered). At some point I hope to have a Brooks saddle.

I have seriously considered replacing this with a new commuter several times in the past year. I bought the bike new and it was very cheap when I purchased it (only a few hundred dollars). But every time I research it, I keep reaching the conclusion that the frame (other than not supporting disc brakes) is actually pretty darn good. Very good fit for me. 4130 Chromoly. So, I have decided to keep it and am actually in a very zen place with it. That is why I have spent the money to get the trekking bars and the new front dynamo wheel.