Old 05-19-11, 03:55 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by justtom
Thank you exile for the welcome, about slicks how good are they on dirt paths? i have been riding with the lil one around the neighborhood and in the city but we also go on the bike trail on the river dike witch is pavement but also offers plenty of dirt trails so we have been mixing it up.now today i road my first 14 miles round trip alone and plan on doing that daily till i work myself up to more miles.I would say 2 1/2 miles where in the dirt and mud .i seem enjoy both worlds so slicks or knobby tires?
Slicks can get by OK on certain sections of dirt trails, but it kind of depends on the dirt and if you are going up inclines.

If a majority of your riding is on streets than slicks would work fine. When you start mixing in street and trails then you have some options. LongT hinted on the type of tires you might want to look into. Check out the Kenda K847 Kross Plus, Maxxis Holy Roller 26" Tire, or the Continental Town And Country for ideas.

The usual tires that come on MTB's have treads that are more suited for off road riding and not mixed conditions. When riding on pavement the knobs really do nothing more than slow you down. With mixed type of tires the center portion should be slick or with tightly packed knobs and the sides with wider spaced knobs. The Town And Country has an inverse tread which works well also.