Old 06-16-05, 10:56 AM
phidauex
Spoked to Death

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine 8, Specialized Fuse Pro 27.5+, Surly 1x1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And now this is officially a new thread about the level hubs. Look what you've done!!

Actually, just to add some fuel to the fire, I've always felt that using threads to affix something that has to withstand torque loading was always a silly choice, that was probably made early on because of ease and cost of manufacturing, not an actual performance benefit.

You can make stronger, lighterweight systems that use splines of some sort that the cog can float on, which is exactly the direction that motorcycle disc brakes went many years ago, with full floating rotors. Very lightweight, and incredibly strong.

I'm not a fan of constantly reinventing the wheel, but at the same time, you can't tie yourself too hard to the past. Under the right set of circumstances, I could see a few manufacturers getting together and agreeing on a new cog spec. Imagine being able to change cogs with nothing more than an allen wrench, no need for two big long tools just to change a cog, the wrench on your multitool would do the job. Stripped cogs would be a thing of the past. You'd destroy the rim before ripping the cog off its splines.

Now, I don't know if Level can generate the support from the industry required to change this design from 'obscure and proprietary' to 'readily available and standardized', but if they can, I'd support that change.

peace,
sam