View Single Post
Old 05-19-11, 08:07 PM
jonathanb715

Bikes: Kestrel Talon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that I get sweaty in any reasonably priced rain gear - so sweaty that I'm soaked anyway. So I worry far more about being warm than being dry.

Layers work really well - from about 45 degrees up to 65 - 70, knee warmers, arm warmers (both from smart wool - the wool content really helps keep you warm), base layer, jersey, wind vest, wool socks, I'll carry full gloves too - sometimes my fingers get cold. Oh, yeah - a pair of shorts is a good idea, too!

Below 45, similar except I'll substitute a rain jacket for the vest. I'll probably stash the vest in a pocket in case it warms up a bit. If it's really cold, I'll wear runners tights over the shorts (not under - then the chamois won't work as designed). Of course, really cold is a relative term - in 5 years, I've had to ride in snow 3 times, hail a half dozen.

The most important thing I've skipped so far is glasses - you will want some good ones, with a mild tint. Rain in your eyes is no fun at 15 mph. A cycling cap below the helmet will help keep rain off your glasses too (a mountain bike helmet with a visor built in might do the same - I haven't tried it).

And I turn on my taillight and low powered headlight.

JB

edit - if it's cold but not raining, I'm happy with a base-layer, vest, arm and leg warmers in addition to my normal riding attire - I warm up fast and find I just don't need that much to stay warm if I keep my chest warm.

Last edited by jonathanb715; 05-19-11 at 08:11 PM.