View Single Post
Old 05-20-11, 07:14 AM
crazy_lazy_bear

Bikes: 2009 Trek 7.3 Hybrid, 2010 Specialized Secteur Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to STRONGLY recommend that you visit several bike shops and discuss your needs and goals with the guys there. First, you will get a feel for which bike shops you are more comfortable with (very handy when, later on, you need advice and service.) Second, no amount of advice on this forum can replace actually getting on several bikes to see how they feel. One option you may want to discuss at the bike shop is a hybrid, as craigb mentions. It depends if the bikepath you want to ride is paved or not. My hybrid came with tires that were too narrow for me dealing with the pot-holed roads in my city. The bike shop sold me some wider tires (they look like really skinny mountain bike tires) that did the trick. This year, I wanted a road bike. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted. When I talked about my needs and goals with the guys at the bike shop, I ended up purchasing something completely different than I had intended; and am happy I did. Driving to a bike path to ride is a good idea. That is how I prefer to ride when my wife comes with me. No matter what you get, the important thing is to get out and ride.