spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by bktourer1
I picked up a couple with my van in Nov. as they would never have found my house
Gave them a shower and room and ordered them a pizza. took them to a supermarket, gave them computer use
and got them on the road in the morning. I have had hosts cook for me (this I didn't expect) and give me a room and shower.

All I ever expect is Thanks and I have treated my hosts the same. I do send Thank You cards to my hosts
The couple did not happen to be 2 woman around 50 or so?

Sending thank you cards is a bit hard to do. What I do instead is to take small gifts. Refrigerator magnets from your home town work really well. Small, light and appreciated. I'll give them to anyone that goes out of their way to make my trip a lot nicer.

I have also taken other gifts. For example, I stayed with a WS host in Italy last year (there are not many in Italy). I knew they had young boys so I brought an American football. It was lots of fun teaching the family to throw and the basics of the game. None of them have ever handled an American football. The best are was on the mother. She was all of 5 feet, maybe 100 lbs at best and she had a great arm!