View Single Post
Old 05-22-11, 11:27 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'm not a larger person but I relate to this. Hell yes I was embarrassed at first. Imagining drivers laughing or pitying the guy on the bike, self-conscious about being in anyone's way. I didn't know this culture existed or that grown men seriously used bikes for transportation and regular recreation. I just did it, and it was acutely uncomfortable.

After a while you realize something different from talking to people and watching them. These strangers in cars, not all of them but most, admire what you're doing, you can hear that respect, some even envious wishing they could do the same if only ... even with those who resent it, it helps to know where that's coming from. Seeing you bigger guys cranking along, a lot of them are going to be secretly in awe even if they'd never admit it.

About the speed I'll let you in on a little secret. It doesn't matter. The average driver passing by has no idea how fast you're going unless they can't pass and have to follow behind you for awhile. And if they do have to follow it doesn't matter if you're going 25 or 30 mph some will still rag on you for slowing traffic.

Last edited by wphamilton; 05-22-11 at 11:31 AM.