Old 05-23-11, 10:49 PM
kiltedcelt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My kingdom for some lace-up cycling shoes!

I need some new shoes and I absolutely HATE velcro fastening cycling shoes! My instep can be sensitive so I generally can't wear the three velcro closure shoes because the middle strap goes right over the instep. On two closure shoes (I have a pair of two closure shoes now), I can't get a decent secure feel to the fit of the shoe. I just want some decent lace-ups. Ideally, I'd also like a shoe that while spd-compatible does not have such a stiff sole that there is no flexing of the sole. I know having a flexible sole runs counter to the general principles behind cycling shoes in general, but back in the day (as the kids these days say), I had a pair of Avocet cycling shoes that were stiff but still walkable as well as a pair of Diamant shoes that were also stiff but walkable. I prefer a mountain bike or touring type of shoe where there is some tread so if I'm off the bike and walking around I don't feel like I'm clomping around in clown shoes or something. Does anyone have any suggestions along these lines? I've looked at Nashbar, Performance, REI, Co. Cyclist, Excel Sports, you name it, I've probably checked 'em out and no love so far. Lake used to make a cool looking shoe, and they still have some but they're old stock and woefully small. I wear about a size 11 these days. Used to wear about 10 to 10 1/2 but I think as I've gotten older my arches have fallen and made my feet longer or I've started growing again. I should also add that aftern cycling infrequently over the last few years I'm training to ride a century ride in September so I should also be getting shoes that will be comfortable for LONG distance rides as well. Maybe I can't have it all - walking comfort and long distance riding performance. I'm kind of at a loss here. Help me! I can't go on wearing my uncomfortable Performance Forte MTB shoes anymore!

Last edited by kiltedcelt; 05-23-11 at 10:59 PM.