Old 05-25-11, 03:20 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Forgive my skepticism... but I don't believe it.
I don't think there's any downside (except some cost and mess) of putting more lube on a chain under any condition - new, old, clean, or dirty.
Sorry but you're wrong on this point. Adding new oil to the outside will allow the now excess oil to pick up the grit stuck to the outside. Then as the chain is spun around the sprockets it flexes and is put under load so the oil tends to be pumped and circulated by the motion. The new oil that picked up the outside grit will now carry it into the chain's innards.

Because of this we're actually better off to ride a chain that feels more or less dry to the touch until we can clean it correctly than it is to add oil to it.

Bagel007, even though it may look and feel dry you'd be amazed at how light a coat of oil or grease it takes to resist rusting effectively.

If you've been riding on wet roads check the lower side of your bottom bracket shell. If it's gritty then you can bet your bippy that your chain saw the same sort of grit. Wiping it down after each ride may have helped but at least some of the grit will have been pushed in under the plates from your wiping it down. Flex a few links back and forth and see if they feel smooth or feel like they have some very fine sand in them. Running a finger over it and then rubbing two finger tips together will often tell you if the chain has fine grit on it as well. Stuff you can't see by eye will show up with these tests provided you know what you're looking to feel.

Last edited by BCRider; 05-25-11 at 03:25 PM.