View Single Post
Old 06-17-05, 07:34 AM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by islenska
Ok, so say I'm not into urban, single speed or fixed gear riding. Am I going to hate life in NYC?

1. Is it even possible to go mountain biking?

2. And what about the traffic, and the pollution?

3. How does one train for racing when living in NYC?

4. And how does a car-free guy get out of the city for races? I guess I'm either renting, or I'm stuck.

Forgive me if these questions are ignorant. I have no idea what to expect. Please advise!

5. Should I just sell my rigs and take up video games?
1. Mountain biking in New York City?? Take New Jersey Transit at 34th street and head for the burbs. It's simple and there are loads of trails in Jersey and you can use the system to get right back in New York City for all the action. That's the beauty of New York in that you are not stuck to watching trees grow leaves for the rest of your life. The commuter rail system allows you to enjoy the burbs and the city in the same day.

2. Ride your bicycle on the West side bike path and your free of the traffic and polution. I think you're crazy if you stay on that path all day because all the action is in Times Square. Get up at 6:00 O'clock on a Sunday morning and the city is deserted. You'll love riding on empty streets because the city is breathtaking.

3/4. There's a velodrome in Queens. You can take the subway and ride a couple of miles and you're there. Here's the instructions to get there by bicycle or train

Directions to the Kissena Park Velodrome by Subway (and Bicycle): Take the 7 subway to the end of the line at Main Street in Flushing. Ride one mile south on Kissena Blvd. to Kissena Park, turn left at Booth Memorial Ave., then left at Parsons Blvd. to the Velodrome entrance.

Take the F subway to Parsons Blvd., go two miles north on P arsons Blvd., veer left on Kissena Blvd., right turn on Booth Memorial Ave., then left at Parsons Blvd. to entrance; or stay on Parsons Blvd., cross LIE on pedestrian bridge at 159 St., then cross Booth Memorial Ave. to entrance.

5. Video Games?? People are still buying those things? I though that went out with the heavy metal bands in the 80's!