View Single Post
Old 05-26-11, 06:39 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
I'm not sure the 705 does topo maps.
It does. In fact, Garmin sells topographic maps on SD cards that work with the Edge 705.

My issue is that my 705 runs out of juice after 12-15 hours, so I'd have to find a place to recharge it every day, but I expect that to be a problem for all units. The routing isn't that great either, but it is functional.
As discussed in the other recent GPS thread, it's relatively easy to find battery-powered USB chargers that will work with the Garmin Edge (as well as most other USB-powered devices).

Routing isn't great, but it's on par with every other GPS device I've used: it'll get you where you're going, but it may not take the most direct or logical route. Regardless of the device, it's a good idea to preview the route before starting out. Or, better yet, layout the majority of the route using one of the many on-line mapping sites and use the device's built-in routing only for emergencies or unanticipated side trips.

If you are looking to record the data from your ride, it runs out at either 3,4 or 5 hours (I think 4) so you have to hit stop and reset it to get data on your complete ride if going a long way.
Not entirely true. There is a 4.5-hour limit, but the limit only applies if you have the device set to sample data every second. This setting is really only appropriate if you're using the device with a power meter. For all other cases, the device should be set to "Smart Recording", which allows for at least 12 hours of data collection.

Last edited by sstorkel; 05-27-11 at 12:22 AM.