Old 05-27-11, 10:35 AM
swankgd
Rational Hedonist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compared to what, Performance? Compared to what?

I imagine this thread will quickly devolve into a LBS advocacy thread, so I'll start by admitting that, yes, I bought a bike recently at Performance. I did a LOT of shopping, spent much time going to several different LBS, riding many many different bikes. In the end, Performance had the bike that fit me the best, with the best components/price ratio, and I spent hundreds less than I would have for a similar bike at an LBS (if I had even found one that felt as right for me, which I didn't at any price). So there ya go. For me, getting the right bike at the right price was the right choice.

Now, that said, maybe I'm missing something but I was glancing through their latest mailer and saw something that confused me. They were advertising some sale prices on Scattante bikes. They would list a savings amount and 3 prices, like this.

Save $1000!
Compare at: $2699.00
Sale Price:$1699.00/Our Price:$1799.00

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Scattante is Performance's in-house brand. So, if the sale price is $1699, and the "our price" is $1799, where in the world does the $2699 come from? "Compare to this made up price that no one sells this bike for!" Huh?