Old 05-29-11, 04:41 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like too much weight on your hands or wrong angles somewhere. I second the notion that you should see someone who knows how to fit a bike properly. Perhaps you need more shock absorption, i.e. thicker tires too?

However, I had similar problems when I owned road bikes. No matter how much padding I'd used or how the bars were adjusted, I even tried different length stems: I was always getting that kind of pain at the base of my thumbs, when riding for too long on the hoods. Including a shop-fitted carbon bike.

My experience was totally opposite to this:

Originally Posted by jakevance
If you're using a bike with straight mountain bike bars, I had the same issue and it was TOTALLY resolved by switching to drop bars. If that's not an option, some of those Ergon grips helped me out a LOT before the switch, too. They give a bigger pad right at the meaty base of your thumb. Great for distributing the weight better.
Originally Posted by CbadRider
I have no problem with the drop bars on my road bike, but the flat bars on my hybrid cause pain and numbness if I don't switch my grip every so often. Changing your bars might help.
I guess, we're all different. There are no rules that apply to all and no solutions that solve problems the same way for everyone. I grew up riding with flat bars. I was over 30 y.o. when I rode drop bars for the first time, so perhaps my muscles, joints and tendons are developed differently. Drop bars made me suffer most of the time. I was getting elbow and forearm pain too on drop bars, the position didnd't feel natural, my arms felt twisted.

To be fair, poorly padded straight bars would also cause pain during bumpy rides, so I always use gel grips or Ergon grips.

Originally Posted by rockhoppernc
was thinking that if i lower my seat then i will lose power in my legs, right
Don't mess with your saddle. It must be set up just right. Too low and your knees will start to hurt. Too high and the tendons underneath your knees will give you trouble. You can experiment with the horizontal saddle position (move it forward or backwards), the stem lenght and angle and the handlebar position, but leave the saddle height as it should be.

Originally Posted by rockhoppernc
thanks for all the help-- this is on my road bike.
this is what I did. I raised my stem a little, lifted my seat a little and slid it back a little. I am going on a little ride today and I will get back to you.
Also check the drops angle. If the hoods are too low or too high they can give you trouble too.