View Single Post
Old 05-29-11, 05:46 PM
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyStuffing
I would think a commuter style bike would be excellent for these sort of scenarios. Such as the Globe series by Specialized. Tires that are 700x35 would be ideal. Not sure if going the mountain bike route would be necessary because most of us are city dwellers. Pavement is ubiquitous. 700x35 tires with a good solid commuting frame should handle heavy loads and rough bumps nicely. The bumps would come much later on when the roads come into disrepair and maybe having to roll over random litter.

I think the guys that routinely do randonneuring would have a good idea how to go about this. Thats kinda how I would pack anyway.
Perhaps, but remember, depending on the situation (Tsunami, Hurricane, Tornado, Earthquake) that pavement may be in rather poor condition.

When I first read this, I thought a rigid MTB with racks and trekking tires (26 x 2-ish) would be the preferred ride. True, this would not be the rig if there was civil unrest, but if there was civil unrest, defend in place might be the preferred option if you did not have a car to escape in.