Old 05-30-11, 06:34 PM
JT Burkard

Bikes: BMW Cruise Bike, Specialized Hardrock, Fuji Sagres, Vintage Schwinn Hollywood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6/5/11 - Ride on the Henry Hudson Trail to Freehold NJ & the Metz Bicycle Museum

I received this email last week and am planning on attending. I figured I would share the event with everyone who is in the NJ/Monmouth Co. area.

"The West Windsor Bicycle and Pedestrian Association is planning a field trip to Freehold Borough, to "take in" the sites, have lunch and visit the Metz Museum. I thought it would be fun to gather a group to meet them on a leisurely ride down the Henry Hudson to the our downtown.

If you are interesting in being a Freehold Bicycle Ambassador (or know anyone who may be interested), let me know. It'll be a nice promotion for our town. I will also forward the Borough bike maps to anyone interested.

You will see from the e-mail exchange below that the group plans to start in Marlboro's Bicycle Hub - thereby starting on Route 79 for a mile. I am suggesting that they start at the Marlboro H.S. for parking and safety. Of course, anyone interested in this does not have to take the Route 79 Marlboro extension."

Also the email from the West Windsor Bicycle and Pedestrian Alliance:

"Join the West Windsor Bicycle and Pedestrian Alliance on a bike ride to discover the Metz Bicycle Museum in Freehold on June 5!

We will ride from the Bicycle Hub bike shop in Marlboro, NJ (north of Freehold) to the museum. The route is about 8 miles each way and uses the car-free Henry Hudson Trail for about 5 miles. We will ride on back roads at the start (but will need to cross Route 79 at a traffic light) and on local roads in Freehold.

We leave the Bicycle Hub at 11 a.m. (parking is available in the rear of the store) and will visit the museum at 1 p.m. That leaves plenty of time for lunch and Springsteen sites!

The museum houses one of the world's finest collections of antique bicycles, ating from the 1850's to the 1950's. Hundreds of bicycles are artfully displayed. Boneshakers, highwheelers, quadricycles, tricycles, ordinaries, safeties, children's bikes, trick bikes, and many more unusual and one-of-a kind cycles make up this fascinating collection. See a lamplighter bicycle that is over eight feet high as well as miniatures made by a prisoner of war in Belgium in the early 1940s.

The museum is run by a retired Freehold businessman who was born on a farm in Cranbury.

The ride is free but museum admission is $10 and its capacity is limited. You must RSVP to take part."