View Single Post
Old 05-31-11, 09:53 PM
KDC1956

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Devious Rhesus
Howdy!

I've been doing some light touring on my carbon road bike by forcing my buddy to schlep all my gear on their bike. As much fun as it is to blaze ahead and have time to eat a hamburger before she arrives in town, I think it's about time I get my own touring bike...

I've pretty much fallen in love with the Surly LHT, but I don't care for the way the stock bikes look. I'm both shallow and know my way around a wrench, so I figured I'd build a bike. And hey, it should be fun, right?

Problem is, I need help with components. I started tossing stuff into shopping carts, and got to over a grand before I even got to wheels. Now, my gear selection thus far has been from reading things on the internet of all places, so I'm reaching out to you guys to suggest quality substitutes to get this thing down in price! And if the item has an option for black, I want that! The bike should meld with nothingness

Here's where I'm sitting:

Surly Black Frameset - $430 (ouch ouch ouch)
Cane Creek SCR-5 Levers - $31
Cane Creek SCX-5 Cantilever Brakes - $58
Shimano Deore XT rear - $72
Shimano XT front - $39
Shimano Deore XT Cassette - $75
Chain - $30
Shimano Deore XT Crankset s/ BB - $218
Dura-Ace Bar Ends - $91
Brooks B17 - $90

And as far as wheels go, I have no clue... Suggestions on that front (I'm 6'5" and 220 lbs...). And stems, posts, etc.... Oh, and suggestions on racks you like most?

Realize this is lots to ask, so thanks to anyone that throws in their two cents
Very nice picks of parts to use.For the rear I like Deore XT M770 Mavic XM719 36h.And the have it for the front wheel too.This is what I am getting for my LHT ASAP.They are good wheels I have the Mavic A719 700c on my Nashbar build they are great.I run 700 x 28 on this bicycle.But my LHT I like 26x1.75.My 2 cents.