View Single Post
Old 06-02-11, 01:57 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostGreenGuy
That's my worry. I've used Mr. Tuffy's very successfully on my mountain bike tires, but have never tried Mr. Tuffy's on high PSI tires. I run my OEM Sirrus tires around 92 PSI, front and back, which is much higher than my mountain bike tires.
The SMPs come in 700x25mm and while they clear side to side one has to consider the internal fork crown clearance issue. That's where I ran into a problem on my C'dale SR300. The SMP was too thick vertically, so I ordered a standard Marathon which had slightly less thickness and the tire was able to clear. But, I run an SMP on the rear. 3 years zero flats. On my 80s Fuji fg conversion there was plenty of room...in fact I could run 37mm w/no problem, but stayed w/25mm to minimize rolling resistance. Once again 3 years no flats. My utility bike has 700x28mm. Couldn't be more pleased w/the results. 3 years 2 rolling flats and one overnight slow leak.

Thought about running Tuffys w/t SMPs, but figured eliminating a possibility of a pinch flat w/them outweighed the extra protection. If you're going to run them in your rb tires I'd recommend sanding the edges and covering the overlap between the tube and the liner w/some sort of soft edge tape.