View Single Post
Old 06-03-11, 03:35 AM
aenlaasu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back From My First Tour

It was only a short one, which is good for a first try. However, I find I'm rather ambivalent about the experience. Did I enjoy myself? During the day as I was moving and seeing things yes.

I enjoyed my conversations with a group of people when I stopped to rest in the shade for lunch during the hottest part of the day. I felt a little sad because they were gathering for a funeral, but they were welcoming and kind. They accepted my presence, sweaty, wind-mussed hair and strangely dressed as I was. Even made sure I left with all my bottles filled with fresh water. It was surreal.

The countryside was beautiful and it was thrilling to see new places.

After that, I wasn't so thrilled with it. It was stressful trying to find some place to sleep as it got late as I was close to a town and I didn't have the funds for a hotel, if I even could have found one. Then it was a fitful night, creeped out by the ticks crawing on my tent and annoyed with the yapping and calling of foxes in the surrounding fields. Also worried about my things as I heard someone passing back and forth in the middle of the night. As soon as I had light to see (2:45 at this time of year in this area of Sweden), I staggered out, packed up and was on my way.

Once I was moving again, it was great.

Will I do it again? Probably. For the moment the enjoyment of the days was worth the night's discomfort as long as I think it will improve either by better planning or getting used to it.

What did I learn?

I really need to focus on eating more. A tiny handful of granola with unsweetened oats, nuts, various dried fruits and seeds, an ice cream bar and an apple isn't enough for an entire day of cycling though I never felt low on energy from lack of food or the least bit hungry. Of course, low blood sugar just might have made me delirious on that point.

Try to plan my days so I'm WELL out of range of any significantly size towns. Hard to find places to camp the closer I get that fall within the laws because it's agricultural land or too close to houses.

Also, I REALLY need something to do in the evenings. So, maybe time to discover new authors for books to read or something else which doesn't require electrical devices.

The rest, except my reaction to the camping was fine. I didn't have too much gear I didn't need unless you count the food I didn't eat. I took pictures, explored church yards for runestones and wandered around the ruins of churches and a fortified village. I met some wonderful people who welcomed me even in their time of mourning.

It took 3 years of thwarted planning to finally get out for my first tour, but I'm glad I did it. Now, to plan another, longer one using what I learned.