View Single Post
Old 06-03-11, 07:33 AM
swen0171 

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
fixing up old Burley trailer

Hi all, this is my first post in this section (been over in C&V for years) because my first is now old enough to ride in a trailer. Luckily, he loves it. I was also lucky to pick up an early model (90s) Burley Solo trailer last summer on C-List. Got a great deal on it ($25) because it was in a rural area and posted on the Baby page. It is in perfect, unused condition and is a beautiful little trailer.

My question concerns the fact that the wheels are loosely mounted. They are safe (they are not going to fall off) and I believe as installed in the factory but they have enough play in them that if they where on a bike I'd immediately tighten the cones.

It looks to me like they are a very simple axel and bearing situation. Anyone have them apart? I guess I should just take them apart and see what's what, but I'm loath to pull apart the trailer as it's working right now and I use it almost everyday to drop the boy off at daycare on my way to work. And with the kid there is just so much less time to do projects.

Anyone fix up an older trailer like this, or upgrade the bearings?