View Single Post
Old 06-03-11, 02:23 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Wired vs wireless bike computers is a contentious point of debate for some people. I prefer the wired version -
1. You have to replace the battery on the wireless versions every 2 years or so (or so people have said), and it's a weird shaped battery you have to order. The battery on a wired version lasts nearly forever, so it's less maintenance.
2. If you install the wired computer yourself you can have issues with the wire catching on stuff and breaking. If you have the bike shop do it (or you are experienced yourself with how to install them) this isn't an issue, they have some tricks to installing the wire.
3. With wireless there's the potential for interference - where the computer will stop recording, or start recording obviously bogus values (going 99mph is something people run across). Some are better than others, but wired computers don't have this problem.
4. The cost of wireless + installing yourself vs wired + bike shop install is about the same.

The wired versions are just less ongoing maintenance so I always stick with them.

I used a Saris "bones" rack to carry my bikes on my last car. Reliable, and if you watch craigslist they often show up fairly cheap. It worked well.

When I bought a new car (a hatchback) it didn't fit, unfortunately, and I bought a hitch rack. If you're only carrying your bikes occasionally the racks with straps are definitely cheaper and work just as well if not better.

For carrying a women's bike with no top tube, or a full suspension mountain bike which also has no top tube, you have two options -

1. Buy an adapter thing that creates a temporary top tube for holding. The Saris Bike Beam is one example of one -
http://saris.com/bike-racks/vehicle-...category_id=10

2. Buy a "hold by the wheel" style rack. Most of these are hitch racks, and very expensive, though.

There are two I know of that don't require a hitch:
- Saris has a newer "Gran Frondo" rack that they only sell in Europe
- Thule just came out with a new "9003 Raceway Platform 2 Bike" rack that straps on but holds the bike by the wheels -
http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...02%20Bike.aspx

However, the cheapest and easiest option is probably to buy a regular trunk rack that attaches with straps, like the Saris Bones, and an adapter for a women's bike for carrying that.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 06-03-11 at 02:35 PM.