View Single Post
Old 06-04-11, 06:37 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by UG7890
What is something you guys would recommend eating before going cycling?
Plan to drive down to the CAPE tomorrow and ride some of those trails. Should be fun.
Eating? Ah, food, I think. There's always lots of discussion about food. It depends on what kind of riding you plan to do. If I'm going out for a 50mi jaunt the critical meal is breakfast. Something with no refined sugar, but good complex carbohydrates and mixture of other stuff. I like steel-cut oats (neither trivial nor common) with some fruit and nuts such as raw almonds, maybe an egg, orange juice, coffee. That won't last me the whole trip but the egg will help in that department. I'll carry a banana and a Larabar or two, some dried fruit like raisins, dates, figs, and maybe even a sandwich on a long day. Of course one can always stop and buy something, except that the stuff available at convenience stores is usually high on convenience, sugar, and saturated fat, but low on "real" foodness. One more thing, drink lots of water.

How'd your Cape ride do? Did you find more hills than you expected?