View Single Post
Old 06-18-05, 05:10 PM
juf2m

Bikes: Serotta Fierte Steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I had a meltdown on the MTB trail!

I am VERY new to mountain biking. I have done maybe 5 rides so far. My boyfriend is a fantastic MTB rider, plowing his way over enormous piles of logs, zooming down the hills, etc etc.

Well I have to say I am a much better road rider than mtb rider. I just can't seem to get it. When I go up a steep hill in a low gear, invariably some root will force me to stop and then I won't have enough momentum to keep up the hill and I will have to walk. The pedals (no way am I going clipless on a mtb!!) have these sharp knobs on them that gouge chunks out of my legs, especially when I am walking which is what I have to do half the time.

The worst is when I will slam into a log or big root, and then crotch myself on the stem! Today I did it twice, which led to said meltdown. The frustration and pain led to a 10 minute sobbing session on the path. I haven't cried in ages and the last two times were both on the MTB!!

I really WANT to love mountainbiking. I love the forest, the silence, the fresh air, the peace and quiet, the whole concept....even the camelbak. But I SUCK at this and spend most of the time cursing and thinking about how much I hate mountainbiking.

I sure hope I will get better at this soon, or I will be very UN motivated to continue with it.