Old 06-05-11, 12:14 PM
mmeiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
I'm considering a week-long tour next month, and Toledo to P-burgh is on my shortlist. Any good routes this way? Is there camping? (I know there's an AC route along the shore, but I'd rather stay inland. I think.)
I think inland is far more interesting. Interesting being a very relative thing. But it is far quicker as well and less likely to have to deal with extreme headwinds.

I'm not certain I want to do this -- I've heard horror stories about Toledo -- but I'm sketching out a plan to see how long it would take, where the campsites are, etc.
Horror stories? Do tell. I will try and correlate. You don't have to worry about offending me either. I don't live in Toledo and am not all that fond of it either.

Day 0 - travel day(s), pick up bike in Toledo. Maybe stay a night in P'Burgh?

Have kept the first day's riding short so I can pick up my bike in Toledo and start riding the same day, if the trains will let me do it this way. (14 hour train ride straight from NYC, 5 hours from Pittsburgh. I think stopping in Pittsburgh overnight makes sense.)
I think your plan to use amtrak is a good one. I've used it twice now to return from trips along the Allegheny Passage.

I ride route 51 coming out of toledo all the time. It is admittedly congested though, and high stress. Probably not a bad idea to avoid it. Your workaround going due south is probably the best way to avoid a lot of traffic. I have not ridden Tracy or Walbridge, but I have ridden Broadway that parrallels Tracy. Keep in mind that is a big rail yard you're riding right through but the roads should be pretty well paved and traffic should be light.

Route 51: South of Milbury 51 isn't to bad. Very little congestion. It's very well paved and has a consistent 3 foot shoulder. Gets a bit of traffic and traffic moves a bit fast, but I ride it all the time. A hare boring, but maybe that's just because I ride it all the time.

Elmore, Ohio: Just be aware that that the initial block of the bike path between Witty Road and 105 is not paved. It's basically dirt double track. That said, it is very popular and people ride it all the time. Indeed I like it. The old rail bridge / now bike bridge over the Portage into Elmore is pretty cool.

The Bike Path: The bike path between Elmore Ohio and Clyde is very well paved. Indeed they just repaved most of it in the last two years, and the Fremont to Clyde section again a few weeks ago. It's mostly tree lined, which is great because it breaks the wind a little, but there are a few windswept sections. The right away under freeway is there. Google is just silly/mistaken/flat out wrong in routing you around the 80/90 intersection. I had to laugh at some tourers that stopped in the bike shop the other day that followed the mile detour google gave them instead of riding straight through. It is extremely obvious that the thruway is open.

Camping: Not that I have anything against your campground choice. I ride by it all the time and it looks like a nice enough place. Have been meaning to try camping there sometime myself. It's very convenient. That said have you thought about checking out Maumee Bay State Park?

It's almost certainly NOT going to be as quiet as your campground choice unless you're there mid week. So if you want quiet stick with your original plan. But it does have superb facilities, plus there is a beautiful lodge if you'd rather stay there. What's more if you have the time you could check out the wildlife refuge and ride out to the point. Nothing specifically cool about this area. Just some birds, marshes, a lot of trees, a marina near the lodge, and a whole lot of water. But I like it.

Here's an alternative route with some hilights: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...&z=13&lci=bike I really enjoy these roads. That said, you could just cruise on through. Just depends on how much of a hurry you're in.

This is pretty much exactly the route i would suggest.

Depending on when you do your trip the bike path in this section may be complete all the way from Clyde to Norwalk. I know they are planning to pave the missing link this summer. There is much anticipation.

If it's not completed by the time you tour you should know though that Route 20 can be high truck traffic. It is a four lane roadway with a median. I *think* they have repaved and put new / wider shoulders on Route 20 between Clyde and Williams road, but I'm not sure. Can't remember the last time I drove through.

If you find they have not here is a proposed alternative route that doesn't take you but another mile out of your way: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...&z=10&lci=bike

Day 3 - Oberlin to the University of Akron, 51 miles (still need to ID a place to stay for the night)
Nough' said. You cannot go wrong in this area. If you get sick of the trail, ridge the paved scenic byway. They're both beautiful and equally popular with bicyclists. The only thing I might suggest is that there are now THREE hiker-biker campsites on the trail. All are brand new. One is just north of Akron (nice but no water / bathroom), one is practically in Akron (and not recommended), and a third is well down toward New Philadelphia (highly recommended). Call the Cuyahoga park service for details. If they're clueless (and they might be on issues of the bike trail) then try calling the local bike shop. Sorry I didn't grab their GPS coordinates the last time I rolled through.

You will also want to check out a few sites if you have time. Brandywine falls is one cool spot. Peninsula has some great places to eat like the Winking Lizard. There's also a historic farm that's worth checking out if only because it's on a popular bicycle route. (I forget the name or road.) Again, contact the Cuyahoga parks people or read up on their website.

Days 4-5 - Akron to Pittsburgh, will use trails for the last day as much as possible.

Anything on these roads that sucks for riding? Or will it be miles of dull roads with very little of interest? [STRIKE]Should I stay along the shore?[/STRIKE] I've pretty much decided to stay away from Cleveland.
I have ridden the shoreline into cleveland and then ridden from downtown down to the start of the Cuyahoga bicycle trail. I enjoyed them both. That said, it's pretty hearty riding. The roads and traffic weren't to bad, but I had to cross a closed bridge and ride through a rail yard and industrial area. It's pretty much what you'd expect. I just thought it was cool to ride down through the cuyahoga river "flats". I could trace the route for you if you like.

Overall I must say this section of the state is very flat, and a little windswept until you get over to the Cuyahoga area. That said the backroads are all very well paved. I'm fond of plotting routes and then putting away the map and following my nose. Lots of beautiful backroads and interesting discoveries.

Good luck with your trip! -Mike