Old 06-05-11, 07:06 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Day 1:

Originally Posted by mmeiser
Camping: Not that I have anything against your campground choice. I ride by it all the time and it looks like a nice enough place. Have been meaning to try camping there sometime myself. It's very convenient. That said have you thought about checking out Maumee Bay State Park?
Maumee State Park sounds very nice, but going by the Oregon, OH address on their website, is somewhat further north. Would rather stay on-route where I can towards Akron.

Elmore, Ohio: Just be aware that that the initial block of the bike path between Witty Road and 105 is not paved.
Thanks; I just took a look at the trailheads in Street View, and it looks okay--No worse than some areas of the C&O when I rode it.

Good to know I can get under the highway; will make a note on my cue sheet.

I've experienced this kind of thing before, before, where Google Maps or Bikely or a GPS thinks I can't bike somewhere.

Puts me on mind of when my GPS tried to send me 100+ miles out of my way to cross the river to get into Hartford. (I asked a backpack-commuter I met at a traffic light about it, and he said "Pfft. Follow me.") Electronic navigation is a good tool, but the map is not the territory.

Day 2:

I *think* they have repaved and put new / wider shoulders on Route 20 between Clyde and Williams road...

If you find they have not here is a proposed alternative route that doesn't take you but another mile out of your way:
Thanks; have bookmarked it and will bring it along.

Day 3:

Thanks, have emailed the park service. (Worst case, I check into a hotel for the night if the campsites look terrible, but I'd rather avoid the expense if possible.)

My bands:

Last edited by neilfein; 06-05-11 at 07:18 PM.