View Single Post
Old 06-06-11, 07:22 PM
dynne

Bikes: 1981 Trek 613, Bianchi Ibex, Bianchi Fixed, Schwinn Tempo, nothing that would get stolen (sigh).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Argh, I really need to be better about checking this site.

As of right now, I'm still on the fence about how to complete this build. A fellow forum member who is also a neighbor of mine mentioned having a NR crankset and RD he would be willing to sell, so that's an option to pursue. But, when all is said and done, I don't particularly want to run downtube friction shifting. It's just my personal riding preference. I appreciate friction shifting via the bar-end shifters on my tourer, and it's amazing being able to go up and down an entire cassette so smoothly. I suppose it's possible trying a bike with full NR might change my mind.

The ultimate goal for the bike is for racing. In the end, it will have brifters/ergos/STIs or whatever you prefer to call them. So if I'm not going to stay truly era-appropriate, I don't understand why it would be weird to put 105 on the bike. The "Masi" experience is the quality of the frame, not the components, right? If Faliero himself had built it, I think I would feel differently (I also probably wouldn't have been lucky enough to get my hands on one!)

For now, I'm riding with what I've got, and holy crap, it's a rocket-ship!