View Single Post
Old 06-08-11, 01:32 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Riluske
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I couldn't get the search to work.

I recently bought a Fugi Del Ray that I'm going to use for touring (it may not be the best bike, but it's better than my Specialized Sirius Sport). Anyway, it has a mishmash of components, some of which I was looking to replace.

It has a biopace chainring, and right now I'm looking to replace it. However, one of the bolts is missing on the crankset, and the hole it goes in is pretty much ruined. So my thought is to just bite the bullet and completely replace the whole thing.

I want to know how doable this is. It has a thin chain, so would I have to replace the chain as well? Also, does this mean that I would be looking at replacing pieces in the rear derailer as well?

My other question is what is the difference in cranksets? I see them going anywhere from $10 to $200 dollars, and I just don't get what the difference is or what I should be looking for. It's a triple crankset if that helps at all.

Thanks so much!
Cost = 1/weight

The less something weighs, the more it costs...generally.

I would question that the Sirius isn't a better touring bike than the Fuji Del Rey. The Del Rey is more sport bike than touring bike. The Sirius would work quite well as a touring bike. It has more provisions for racks - front and rear - than the Del Rey.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!