Old 06-08-11, 02:39 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Looking for commuting light with most even beam pattern (no hot spots)

Looking for a new bike light with as even of a beam pattern as possible. My new commute route will take me around 2 lakes where my current high output lights seem to blind and offend pedestrians (the bike path is separate from the pedestrian path, but they're still next to each other).

I've noticed that if I can get a dim light with a lot of throw, that has a consistent beam pattern, I don't really need a whole ton of light in the city where there's a certain amount of ambient light.

So I guess I'm looking for something that -
1. Doesn't have hot spots in the beam pattern
2. Doesn't blind pedestrians - or at least a lower power mode that doesn't
3. Is wide enough to light up rabbits on the side of the bike path (a constant annoyance)

Not a dynamo light - I already have one, looking for a light for my road "racy" bike.

And fyi, my current setup is basically a Seca 900 on high with a Seca 1400 on medium - but pedestrians *really* don't like the 1400 being on. It's the only light I've owned where more than one walked has yelled at me that my light was to bright.

The closest I've found so far is the Cygolite TridenX -
http://www.cygolite.com/products/new...denX_Lion.html

It looks...evenish -

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I do need a light with some decent throw, I typically ride around 19mph when the path is clear or I'm on the road.