View Single Post
Old 06-11-11, 11:33 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
That "care free" feeling.

I can't say that the anxiety is completely gone, but the "care free" feeling is coming back.

I rode around 115 miles this week, all of it on my recumbent. About half of the miles were around Creve Coeur lake, a course that definitely puts a premium on low speed handling.

I had a couple of close incidents. In one, I came around a blind curve to find about 10 middle school agers spread across the whole trail. 1/2 went one way 1/2 the other. I managed to squeez between them but it definitely spooked me. In the other, a dog walker was watching his dog poop by the side of the trail. I dinged my little bell and I thought everything was cool until he side stepped right in front of me. He got to hear the grouchy side of retro but he deserved it.

I'd rather ride my diamond frame beater around Creve Coeur but, the last time I tried, lifting my head so I could see ahead with the low handlebar made my neck and upper back ache. I've ordered a new taller and shorter stem but it hasn't arrived yet. I hope that does the trick. I should know within a week. FWIW that seeing ahead is one of the places that recumbents have it all over diamnod frame bikes.

One of my rides was with two tandem couples that I used to ride with a lot. I could only keep up with them for about 15 or 16 miles, but I couldn't keep up with them before my accident either. I'm thinking that my speed, at least on the flat, is about what it used to be. I'm averaging around 13.5 MPH. The bike handling is pretty much back. My confidence is coming back. The next monster I have to confront is riding the recumbent up steeper hills.

All-in-all a good week.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 06-11-11 at 12:39 PM.