View Single Post
Old 06-12-11, 07:08 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Several years ago I was riding a stretch of straight road when I noticed a rider behind me by about half a mile. I thought I'd up the pace a bit to keep him from catching me. So, up went the pace. I look back a few minutes later and he's closer than he was before. The testosterone kicks in and I start pushing it. I look back a minute or so later, and he's gaining even more. Now my thinking gets really stupid. I start thinking it is a real race. So, it's up on the big ring and down on the smallest cog with hand deep in the drop. All to no avail. Within two minutes he's right on by wheel, and getting ready to pass. At this point I'm shattered as a man easily 10 years my senior wearing full length blue jeans, heavy workbooks, and riding a wally-mart special passes me. Every now and again I need to be seriously reminded that I'm not the fastest, baddest, nastiest, smartest, (fill in MANY other adjectives here) dude on the planet. That particular reminder is still with me.