View Single Post
Old 06-12-11, 07:36 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
We have similar issues on the MUPs here in Ann Arbor. One I've started when I approach gaggles of middle-schoolers or the lone dog-walker, is to slow down and speak to the kids or walker, something like "hey, kids, I need to get through!" to make sure you are seen. I've seen my wife, a veteran middle and high-school teacher, handle these situations, and a simple, plain request can work wonders, in addition to the bell. Yes, we need to slow down, but it is much more calming. Plus to get people to interact smoothly with me is a small daily achievement.
Trust me, I'm not aggressive when I ride around Creve Coeur. It's just crowded because it's such a nice place to use the MUT. Lots of different kinds of people is part of what makes it nice, and conversely, is sometimes also a drawback. I knew that when I chose to go there.

I'd already passed the middle schoolers once going in the same direction. They weren't being smart-aleckly or anything, it's just that when I went around the blind corner I was surprised to see them spread completely across the trail. I drive a school bus so I can deal with middle schoolers - MOST of the time. I don't think it would have spooked me so much if I'd been on my diamond frame beater, but the recumbent is a little different at near track stand speed because your feet are clipped in up in front of you. Keep in mind that the core cause of my anxiety was an accident two years ago that broke both of my elbows and a low speed crash a few weeks ago that caused a concussion.

The dog walker, I don't know. I saw him in plenty of time, I slowed way down to let some riders from the other direction pass, I thought I had given him an ample warning and, just as I got to him, he side stepped directly in front of me. He was just oblivious.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 06-12-11 at 07:41 AM.