Old 06-12-11, 11:13 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by valygrl
I had the Jandd exp 2, and the Tubus Cargo.

Cargo is a bit lighter. It is VERY stiff, great rack. The Jandd was a good rack too. The Jandd is in fact longer front to back than the tubus. probably 1.5" - ish.

The Tubus has better mounting hardware in terms of the attachment from the front of the rack to the seat stays. The Jandd uses those cheesy aluminum plumbers tape thingies (as do most racks) that don't provide any lateral stability.

I think this is only an issue if that dimension is long - which it might be on a big bike, too, but not sure about that. That dimension is very long (oddly) on my bike, which is very small (trek 520 17"). The Tubus' system makes for an absolutely rock solid attachment, which i really like, no sway even when I stand to climb.

I liked the closed platform on the Jandd in terms of never having to worry about stuff getting down into my wheel, but it's not a big deal - i just put my tarp or tent footprint over that area before lashing on the other stuff. SO that's not a deciding point. Not having that platform is helpful in you have a complex pannier mount - i have the Arkels, which have a little flippy turny thingy (sorry for the technical jargon), and it's a lot easier to mount the Arkels on the Tubus than the Jandd, 'cause you can get your fingers in there to turn it.

In terms of width, the Jandd is probably a little wider than the cargo (i think the logo is narrower still), but that makes no difference if you have rear panniers on, the panniers support any overlapping tent or whatever.

I never had any problem with bottom-hook placement. I have my bags mounted fairly far back, but not extremely - I have little feet and am not trying to correct a heel strike issue.

don't know if that helps at all....
" The Jandd uses those cheesy aluminum plumbers tape thingies (as do most racks) that don't provide any lateral stability.

Does your loaded rack sway side-to-side when you pop out of the saddle to hill climb? I haven't tested mine properly yet since upgrading from something cheap that I had heel strike on (size 12, often with big shoes/boots). FWIW regarding the OP, I haven't had any real heel strike issues with the Jannd. Once, I barely felt my heel brush against one of my panniers when my foot was not in the right spot on the pedal yet after starting from a full stop. That's using Ortliebs, the Sunlite Fortress, and my Basil Weekender. I keep meaning to try moving them up and see if there is any room there, but out of habit from my old racks heel strike issues I keep mounting the bags all the way to the rear.

I'm very happy with my Jannd rack so far, but if I notice my rear rack swaying back and forth when I am out of the saddle climbing and consensus is that the Tubus is more stable in that regard I might strongly consider it. The lack of a deck is kind of a deal breaker for me though.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 06-12-11 at 12:25 PM.