View Single Post
Old 06-12-11, 06:39 PM
JT Burkard

Bikes: BMW Cruise Bike, Specialized Hardrock, Fuji Sagres, Vintage Schwinn Hollywood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know you were just making an example, and I was making a joke back. I realize the pitfalls of an unfit body starting to do things it once did not. About 7 years ago, I dropped from 254lbs to 220 just by eating better, walking 2-3 times a week and at least 5-6 miles on the bike once or twice a week. My body would be sore for a day or so but I would feel much better after I did it.

The day after I rode this 13 mile trip my legs felt like jello and sore but the day after I felt stronger, standing taller, and willing to get out and move more. I have no problem with muscle weight, I have the mass, it would be nice to turn it into something useful.

I also have no issues with riding by myself. My wife's Magna mountain bike has smaller cranks so it takes her much more energy to keep up the same speed with me. I feel sometimes she holds me back so when I get out on my own, I get to speed a bit more. We tried switching bikes but she doesn't like my bike for some reason. At least we get to ride together. If she comes more often and feels she will do this with me on a regular basis, I will buy her a better bike. No need to spend the money if the nice bike just sits.

My quote for the day - "An overweight body in motion tends to stay in motion (in more ways then one) but an overweight body at rest tends to multiple fat cells and has a greater gravitational pull to the couch"