Old 06-13-11, 08:17 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I think it helped that I started travelling, camping, cycling, and doing hub-and-spoke cycling tours with my family long before personal computers existed ... and long before I cared what other travellers, campers, cyclists, and cycletourists thought about what I was doing ... long before I knew that there was such a thing as cycletouring.

The tours I've done as an adult have just been an extension of what I grew up with. As a child, I travelled, camped, and cycled all over western North America. As an adult I just expanded my travels to include parts of eastern North America, Europe, and Australia ... so far.

There is no "right" way to cycletour ... you have to do what works for you. And this is why several of us suggest getting out there and riding your bicycle in all sorts of conditions, camping with the gear you're thinking of taking, and generally travelling and experiencing different things, whether it is a part of a cycle tour or not. That way, you can find out what works for you.