View Single Post
Old 06-13-11, 07:38 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alisgravenil
Hey guys, I've asked this on Yahoo answers and got nothing useful besides some guy telling me he rode 98 miles today and BMX was for little kids. So, I thought I'd come here to get some real answers. (:

I'm an 18 year old girl headed off to college in the fall, and I'm looking for some quick transportation. Here in Pittsburgh, the city is really bike friendly and I'll be only a few miles outside of the actual city. So, as a hobby and a means of exploring, I need a bike. I've been weighing my options of either getting a BMX 20', a hybrid, or a road. However, I'm a poor college kid. So the more I look at the BMX bikes, the inner kid in me wants one to have fun and really enjoy my city riding experience. I'm only 5'5, 118 pounds, so I don't think the bike being small would be too much of an issue. Price wise, I'm set. But I need a second opinion, so any comments are welcome. Thanks everyone!
When I went to grad school I got my first bike since my childhood BMX. Basically I went for an adult BMX bike - a mountain bike. It was simple, rugged and jumped curbs and went off-road with ease. I hated the gears, and always rode it in the top 2 gears, mostly standing on the pedals. It was great for 10 years of college town riding, except when I rode longer distances or climbing hills where it was painfully inefficient. Eventually I went for a road bike for longer distances and better climbing ability. There are so many more choices now than there were back then. Go to a decent bike shop and tell them exactly what you want to do with a bike, test ride a LOT of bikes, and make sure you get one that fits you.