View Single Post
Old 06-15-11, 04:12 PM
Zanobi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grew up in South Florida and now live in Central Florida as well so I know the roads and the weather patterns well. I try to ride the paved trails as much as possible, but have a route like you mention nearby that I will ride if I don't feel like heading over to Cross Seminole.

A few things:

1. As mentioned, the lines that are painted are slick, but they also use a decal type here in FL that I've found even slicker... be very careful with them.

2. Just staying away from the decals isn't enough sometimes. If it's been awhile since there's been some rain (not a problem lately) a light rain can cause a slick as it displaces oils/vehicle fluids that may be on the road. Also remember that all our roads are graded to the outside so debris may wash to where you're riding causing potential puncture hazards.

3. Scan ahead for drainage/puddle issues. We're pretty near the water table here. On my route there's more then one spot that if it's one of those quick but heavy downpours it doesn't drain fast enough initially.

4. Drivers are idiots in the rain. If it's one of our routine afternoon t-storms, you have to be careful of the drivers since visibility for both you and them goes to crap. Just think of all the dolts on I-95/Turnpike going 35 in the left lane with their hazards on (somehow they think it will protect them when they can't see themselves).

Whether driving or riding, my most prized possession for seeing are my polarized sunglasses. It has to really get dark for me not to feel like I see better with them.

I may be exaggerating things a bit, but having driven in FL for about 20 years and riding in central FL for a few, I've seen enough hydroplanes and hit enough deceiving puddles to be extra cautious.