View Single Post
Old 06-16-11, 05:40 AM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's just heartbreaking to hear this.

On the topic of mirrors, as a long-time mirror user, I can't understand why anyone would refuse to use a mirror. A couple of weeks ago, I carelessly dumped some stuff onto my helmet and broke the mirror mount, so rode without a mirror. It was like riding naked. You feel completely vulnerable because you can't quickly check whether that car you hear behind you is passing properly or is aiming right at you. I have to think that the people who wonder how a mirror can help at night haven't used one -- it's just as easy to tell how a car is coming up on you at night as it is during the day. What's more, a little side benefit is that by turning my head a little, I can use the mirror to block the headlights of oncoming cars so I don't get blinded. Not wearing a mirror means that you either have to look over your shoulder at every car or trust that they are passing safely. My observation of randonneurs who don't use mirrors is that they use the "trust" method and are not swiveling their heads constantly. Personally, I don't trust the lunatics who drive on our roads.

Mirrors are not a wonder-panacea that will keep riders out of all trouble. But they're an additional defense in a hazardous world. They cost little, weigh little, are easy to use, and provide positive value. To those who don't use mirrors: Would you drive a car without a mirror? How does riding a bike without a mirror make you safer? I know mirrors are banned by UCI so lots of people who want to look like racerdudes don't wear mirrors. But racers are riding on a controlled course.

Nick