Old 06-16-11, 08:43 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
The 4K included printing T shirts and the like too.

Has enough time passed that one can mention that thread? It, and the preferential treatment the OP received, have to be the low point in Bike Forums' history.
I don't consider it a low point. It was actually a nice diversion.

I think that Flyin' Ryan actually learned from his mistakes and completed a fairly reasonable tour. I didn't donate any money, but did try to offer helpful advice, offered him a place to stay if he wound up near my home, genuinely wished him the best, and followed his tour with genuine interest.

Others have had some crazy threads here and wound up learning and having a great tour. The machete guy (I won't mention his name) comes to mind. I followed his progress too and have subsequently corresponded with him a bit. He was initially a bit misguided, but turned out to be a nice guy.

I ultimately wound up liking them both. Usually the posters I tend to dislike most are ones who ask fake questions just to pimp a web site where they hawk goods and solicit donations to support their touring lifestyle. Neither of those guys fell into that category IMO.