View Single Post
Old 06-16-11, 02:19 PM
Thasiet
Acetone Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
QBP really doesn't seem to know how to build a rack. The Surly racks seem more about presenting a superficial image of loaded for bear, kitchen sink touring than to actually be practical for this activity. They are ideal for what I see them used for, which is strutting around like a dapper, clean shaven Grizzly Adams while rolling through the Alberta arts district to get a cuppa joe. When a pair of Tubus' has more or less the same capacity as a pair of Surly's, but weighs several pounds less, there is a problem in the engineering department, and problems with bicycle engineering tend most often to be sourced to the design and marketing departments. The new Salsa 'triforce' rack is even more ridiculous; it weighs as much as the Surly but has the capacity of my old Blackburn which weighed half as much. The Blackburn and the Tubus are triangulated both in the front-back plane and in the side-side plane, whereas the Surly and Salsa racks are triangulated only in the front-back plane, which means they are not reinforced against sway and must be unnecessarily overbuilt to compensate.

Currently I'm rocking the Bruce Gordon front high mount, which I think is the finest front rack with top shelf that is both quite light and will carry as much weight as you'd ever want to. Just a Topeak in the back right now, but I'll get a Tubus Cargo back there eventually.

Last edited by Thasiet; 06-16-11 at 02:29 PM.