mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
Those are legitimate concerns and you aren't being paid to race. It's kind of hard to say how and if you'll wreck. Statics say that you won't (knock wood just in case, haha).

I've seen and heard of all manner of mishaps at the track...and other kinds of cycling. One friend of mine literally fell over when he left the boards because he didn't clip in to his pedal properly. Broken collarbone. On the other hand, I know a girl who safely raced an entire day with a front wheel that had loose bolts. She happened to have never lifted her fork off the ground all day till it was time to put the bike in the car. Weird stuff happens.

Most mishaps just end in a little rash and maybe some torn shorts. But, again, statistically speaking, you will be fine.
Thanks - the way I see it - I could just as easily get into a car crash and die on my way there. Or while putting my socks on, a meteor could fall out of the sky and break my collarbone.

Today I saw a bumper sticker that read, "I am not going to tiptoe through life, just to arrive safely at death". I agreed and I will take that as a sign. Life's too short, and I am really enjoying the velodrome again after 13 years. Nice that at 34 I can still do cool sh*t like that. I have never missed a high-paying wedding gig, but if it happened, life will move on.