Old 06-17-11, 10:06 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
dengi, as you say, we all kinda just figure out what works best for each of us as we go along, and one adjusts things as we go along, whether it be which doo-dads to have, which doo-dads not to have, etc etc. I too did a lot of outdoor stuff growing up, so bike travelling was not that different than canoe camping or hiking in terms of thinking of what really is needed and balancing too much with too little. As Macha said, before internet I just read some books on cyclotouring and bumbled my way along figuring out what things worked best for me. Kinda another example of my life, I always feel I am bumbling along figuring things out as I go.

I'd have to say regarding your question (well, I guess more of "post tour" really....) I think the thing that sticks in my memory is the neat feeling of accomplishment of looking at a map and realizing, cool--I've gone from this point to this point over "x" kilometres all on my own power, carrying the stuff I need to sleep, eat and be independent. In our world where we travel by car, bus, plane-I always found it pretty neat how one can travel by bike and cover an impressive line across a map and experience the land and people in such a different way than usual.

hasta luego

Last edited by djb; 06-17-11 at 10:14 PM.