Old 06-18-11, 08:51 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am one of those folks who look back and can see things I would have liked to changed but also see just how balanced a life I have led. For example, although not an alcoholic, I wish I had not drank so much in a period of my life, I think it hurt my relationship with friends and at work for a period of 3 or 4 years until I figured out that the price for feeling giddy in the evening wasn't worth being grouchy the rest of the time (it does that to me). Although my oldest daughter is fine and we have a great relationship I wish I was as good a father to her as I am to my youngest, I raised the first one when I was still growing up myself. But all in all it's been a great ride, a successful career in which I have been able to improve the lot of mankind in some small ways. I could have made more money but would not have had as much fun.

As I am getting close to the time I count the years to retirement on one hand, in the big picture the job is great. My future is fine, working for the same company for over 30 years with a grandfathered defined benefits plan and years of investing I should not have financial issues (unless all hell breaks loose). My wife is still healthy and we still enjoy each others company. So I think the future looks pretty good for me at least. I worry about my kids - but who doesn't.

I have my choice of three nice bikes, none of which are new anymore but each of which is a great ride.

My biggest problem is that the day to day stuff seems to be less than great. I have to keep reminding myself just how good I really have it and that the grass is not any better on the other side of the fence, it's still grass, it still needs to be cut, weeded and taken care of every day.