Old 06-20-11, 09:55 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have ridden from home (Santa Barbara) to Monterey and back several times in both directions using Hwy 1 and the inland route Smokester mentioned via Hwy 25 that goes behind Pinnacles Nat. Monument. I rode the inland route in the cooler Fall temperatures each time. I rode Hwy 1 in the Summer each time to beat the inland heat. I highly recommend a mirror to monitor traffic behind you. Lots of tourists renting and driving RV's for the first time.

Heading North is just a different experience than Southbound. The fogline/shoulder area varies considerably and changes with each slide repair. What surprised me most about NB was the small things like waterfalls, wildlife and small islands of older growth timber tucked just off the road in a small canyon. Sounds on the eastside of the road were not washed out by the ocean surf or wind noise from high speed tail wind aided riding. Some people try to fight the wind and feel frustrated and angry over the slow progress. I always have to adjust my expectations to a lower level. After that the tour is more enjoyable.

I have only camped along the way. Current state and county budget cuts may alter camping site availability quickly. Just keep checking the state parks website for changes.

The inland route along Hwy 25 is a narrow two lane road with a decent paved surface. There are few services along the route so plan accordingly. Camping at Pinnacles NM usually requires a reservation. Either route can be very enjoyable in the proper season. I hope to read your trip report to update the cuurent situation along those routes.

Last edited by arctos; 06-20-11 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling