Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Two Down and Four to Go

Ennis to Dillon, MT- 72 miles

Today the weather was nearly perfect for a little Montana bike ride. The day opened with a 2000 foot climb from the outskirts of Ennis over to Virginia City in about eight miles. Once the road went up it was pretty tough on me at first and I stopped at every mile marker for about six miles. At first I was overdressed and getting too hot, but after I shed some layers things got better and I found a pretty good rhythm and did not suffer too much in the last parts of the climb. The stops gave me good opportunities to take pictures and helped me to save my legs for an even harder day tomorrow.

I was certainly not fast today but I am not really feeling all that tired tonight and should be good to go tomorrow. I ate and drank frequently, stayed within myself, and I was not exhausted at the end of the ride either. (The Recoverite seems to help... thanks to my friend Dave for suggesting it.) I am a little surprised by how comfortable I have been on my bike considering the long ride time today. There hasn't been much neck, hand or seat discomfort at all.

Tomorrow night I will likely be without internet access so I may not post for awhile. But this ride is definitely the hardest one of the week with 3800 feet of climbing by mile 45.... and the last 25 miles or so down Grasshopper Pass to Wise River, MT are ALL DOWNHILL! I may try some video of that.

Riding in these mountains is obviously new to me and I have much to learn. But on several occasions now I must say I have surely gained a far greater appreciation for the quality and durability of road bicycle brakes. The speeds that are possible when the road points down are amazing.

http://dongreersbicyclingblog.blogspot.com/

The next time I ride on a tour I will weigh less than 200 pounds....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010450a.jpg (97.9 KB, 13 views)
P1010471a.jpg (102.2 KB, 12 views)
P1010460a.jpg (99.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by billydonn; 05-30-12 at 10:05 PM.