Old 06-24-11, 11:34 AM
LagrangePoint5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly 1x1 - Amazing eBay Find?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Surly-1x1-Single...-/170659392841

So, before I have time to check out the many LBS in my area this weekend I figured I would check out CL and eBay for various offerings. My price range is around $300 and I understand how that lowers the bar on quality and options.

Basically looking for a single-speed with breaks, flat/riser bars, tires that can handle the streets of Richmond, VA (some good, some not good). The ability to one day accept fenders and a rack (more optional than the fenders). I like relaxed geometry. Not really looking to be all leaned over, track like. Just used for going to and fro around two to four square miles, all of which is relatively flat, at a chill pace.

I have perused the offerings of BD quite a bit and while there are several I would have my eye on I would prefer one gotten at a LBS due to the service, warranty, getting it adjusted...et cetera. You know, the reason people go to LBS in the first place. Price seems to be the main issue with that though, but I know you get what you pay for and it is worth it. However, you only have so much money as you have and cannot wish for more just due to it making more sense to spend more. Unfortunately. Hoping to find a decent used/old model in one of the LBS if not this thing.

Anyways, sorry for the long introduction...just figure it would help better understand my aim. So, I stumbled on this possible gem on eBay and I like pretty much everything about it, besides that atrocious shipping...but what can you do. I suppose some questions would be:

1. Are those pretty decent enough quality components (for the possible price this thing might be gotten at)?
2. It looks like it has room and the contacts to accept bolt on fenders, but would it probably be able to take a rack too?
3. Will its gearing and crazy wide tires make it an absolute pain to ride on the road/sidewalk/cobblestone/gravel?
4. I read the hydraulic brakes are great for any condition, but how easy are they to maintain or repair?

That is all I can think of right now really, but it seems to be a great bike I could use for all sorts of things in the realm of utility or leisure. Understanding that I might not get it as the end date gets closer with my budget and that high shipping cost.

Thoughts? I know the Surly 1x1 is a well loved frame too.