Old 06-24-11, 01:54 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by johnj2803
It would have been nice if the "lifetime" report was change after wearing out the stock components tho. We could at least see how long the cheap parts were going to last
I can help out with that. Here's a short version.

12,000 miles (current, 2 years): I'll be replacing my bottom bracket soon because it's starting to develop a wobble. The stock 3-ring crank gears are still fine as far as teeth wear. Other original parts: frame, still good. Front forks, stem, saddle, handlebars, brakes, pedals, stem, front grip shifter, derailleurs no complaints yet.

11,800 miles: replaced the front wheel last week - it was taco'd by a collision on a trail, but it was time anyway. The rear wheel needs some work, and has for about 6 months (about 3,000 miles).

10,000 miles approx: freewheel teeth worn to the point of causing the chain to jump. When I took it off, the second gear had a crack and broke apart in my hands.

about 9,000 miles: a piece of the FD chain guide, having rubbed on the chain thinned out and broke. I tore the piece off and tweaked the guide with pliers, still works.

about 8000 miles (in second winter): the front grip shifter tightened up, so much so that the rubber grip has slipped where I gripped and twisted it too hard. It's still functional but unpleasant. My fault, ignoring the cables and maintenance on the FD.

Somewhere around 3-4000 miles: The threaded cable stop at the front brake broke off at the brake arm. There was enough thread left to screw the shortened piece in without the lock washer, and has been that way since.

Re-packed the hubs after each winter. Replaced chain twice. Replaced tires once, but the stock Kenda tires are still useable.